Sunday 15 March 2015

Tanuki Raw

Lots of exciting things have been happening recently, and along with it, I've been enjoying lots of good food. Celebrated Ngan's birthday (and more!) over a meal at Tanuki Raw. I heard about their happy hour oyster deal ($2 per oyster) and I've been wanting to try it out! But somehow I never made ti there for the evening. Guess I'm not that huge a fan of oysters? And I always had the impression that the food was rather pricey. When I heard about their newly introduced lunch menu though, I couldn't wait to try it!

The lunch items consist of a small variety of donburi bowls priced affordably under $20. 

I'd already seen quite a bit of hype going on about the Black Angus Short Rib Truffle Yakiniku Don ($14.80), and I simply had to order it when I got here! There was an unmistakable aroma of truffle oil that heralded the arrival of this dish, and our mouths started to water as we caught a whiff of it. The slices of beef were fabulously tender, with a quality and texture much better than anything I would have expected of a donburi, and at such an affordable price too! A few of us ordered this dish, and every single one of the onsen eggs arrived perfectly wobbly and the yolk spilled fluidly to coat the beef in its goodness. Gosh, I'm dreaming of having this again already.

Though I was planning to order the Yakiniku don even before I stepped into the restaurant, I was swayed by the Chirashi don as well. And it was a pretty value-for-money option! At $17.80, it is one of the more reasonably priced ones around, and it came with two slices of a section of sashimi including salmon, tuna, and even scallop!

The Salmon don ($12) is a great option for those who can't get enough of this yummy sashimi. And it was not just as simple as plain ol' sashimi - it had special additions such as seared aburi as well, which is a huge plus point! :) 

Thad ordered the Yakitori Chicken don ($12) and it was one of the items that surprised me the most. While I expected charred pieces of chicken, this turned out to be wonderfully tender and came coated with a slightly sweet sauce.

And one of the highlights of every bowl had to be the fluffy sushi rice that it came with! Deliciously seasoned with Japanese spices, it quietly impressed with the way it complemented the ingredients perfectly. 

Tanuki Raw's lunch bowls are available daily from 11.30am-3pm and are an affordable, quality option if you're dining in the vicinity. 

Tanuki Raw
Orchard Central #02-03
Tel.: +65 6636 5949
11.30am-10.30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment