Saturday 19 June 2010

Opera in the Park & Barracks, Dempsey Hill

If you read my post last saturday, you would have heard about how my family and I went to the Singapore Botanical Gardens one week earlier for Opera in the Park -.- anyway, today we were back again, this time on the correct day to attend the opera. I’m not one to really appreciate these sort of things, but it was quite a pleasant experience (: as long as I receognise some songs, I’m happy.
Anyway, we left before the concert ended because we were STARVING. And back we went to Dempsey Hill (haha, seems like we have no creativity :P) since it was nearby. This time, we went to Barracks Cafe at Dempsey House, which we had planned to go to for my sister’s birthday a couple of weeks ago, but did not manage to because I (the blur one, as you will find out soon enough) got the address wrong ):
I realised that Dempsey House is really cool! It’s a Beauty Emporium, Cafe and Bar all in one! For fans of the Spa Esprit Group, you will LOVE this place (:
So, lots of items on the menu sounded soooo interesting! I settled for the Jamaican Jerk Pork Tenderloin ($24).
(sorry for the lousy picture quality :P)
The pork was tasty, however, I was slightly disappointed with its texture ): Since it was a TENDERLOIN, I naturally expected it to be tender, yet, it seemed rather overcooked and hard.
 
Z ordered the House Rib Eye Steak ($30) which was delicious.  I regretted not ordering it! :P It was juicy and succulent, with a gorgeous homemade gooseberry port-wine sauce. There was a hint of vinegar, and let me tell you, I LOVE vinegar. Therefore, I loved that dish (: I couldn’t help stealing numerous bites of that wonderful steak. Oooh, yummy!
Other dishes ordered were…

1.  Red Snapper ($25) – good if your taste is like my mummy’s, light and simple.
2. Herb Crusted Lamb Rack ($32), which I didn’t try because you know I don’t like lamb xP
3. Mushroom Risotto ($24) – OH MY GOSH. I almost fainted when it arrived at our table! It smelt reallyyyyy cheesy! >.< It contains pecorino cheese (no idea what that is) which I assumed caused the smell. Oh gosh. We all got a huge shock. Anyway, according to Y, it didn’t taste as cheesy as it smelt, but…I think I’ll pass.
We also tried the truffle fries ($9) which were supposed to be ‘legendary’. Pretty nice, but not THAT special. I guess I don’t really know what truffle tastes like, so i couldn’t really appreciate it fully, but there was a subtle taste of…something? Mostly it was just like your regular fries :P
Then it was time for dessert! :D Barracks Cafe displays all the desserts for the day (since not all of those on the menu are available), which is a complete visual feast! We were most tempted by the chocolate goodies, and ordered a chocolate tart and hazelnut chocolate cake.
Ooooh, look at that, start drooling (: The chocolate tart was chock full of chocolate, with a beautiful crunchy biscuit crust. Just PERFECT. (: I didn’t manage to get a picture of the slice of hazelnut chocolate cake because we attacked it too quickly! :P It was HUGE! and really tasty too! It was rich, velvety and chocolate-y. So decadent (: And i love nuts, so all the hazelnuts in it were an additional bonus for me! (: 
All in all, a generally satisfying meal, with ESPECIALLY WONDERFUL DESSERTS! :D 
Barracks Cafe
Blk 8D Dempsey Road
Tel.: +65 6475 7787
Lunch: Mon-Fri (12pm-3pm)
Tea: Mon-Fri (3pm-6pm)
Dinner: Mon-Sun (6pm-10.30pm)
Brunch: Sat & Sun (11am-4pm)

No comments:

Post a Comment