Monday 4 October 2010

Shashlik Restaurant

When i stepped into this restaurant in Far East Shopping Centre (not Far East Sqaure! This is the super ulu shopping centre which no one really goes to), my first reaction was, "EWW". :/ Now, this is not a good first impression at all. I was overpowered by a strong smell of...something undesirable. I'm not really sure how to describe it, but it was something along the lines of a milky/cheesy smell or, as my ingenious sister put it, a soiled washcloth :/ Eww, right? I was really appalled (I absolutely loathe bad smells and am addicted to nice smells, but that's another story :P) and i almost wanted to leave immediately. but since papa had made a reservation already, it wouldn't be nice to just leave. besides, i'd never tried Russian food before, so it was an experience which i didn't want to give up, despite, well, the obvious gross-ness. But read on...the food was good! (:


The meal kicked off with a nice bun for each of us. It was piping hot, fluffy and soft. Tear a small piece, spread on some butter and into my mouth it went. Delicious! (: I just loveeee bread.

What's this?! Haha, this was my reaction when my dish arrived in front of me. After opening the paper and deflating the packet (it was deceivingly huge...i realised it was actually just all air -.-), i uncovered my Fish en Papillotte ($22).

I'm glad that i've learnt how to appreciate fish! (: But i have two criteria that have to be met: 1. It has to be a fillet (NO BONES!!!!) and 2. No fishy taste PLEASE. This fish fulfilled both criteria and i loved it! The sauce was tomato-based, and there was a generous amount of it, enough to accompany every mouthful of fish i took. The fish meat was nice and soft, which made for a simple meal, that left me feeling satisfied and healthy xD

Yi ordered fish too! Grilled salmon steak ($21). I wanted to order that initially, but i'm glad i changed my mind! ;) It wasn't that this dish was bad, but i liked mine more (: After eating my soft fish, the salmon seemed a bit hard (i think they might have over-grilled it a little), but it was tasty nonetheless!

Zhen's dish was really interesting! Steak Garlic ($25). She's such a garlic monster haha. Actually so am i xD So we really loved this dish. The dish was so aromatic and every mouthful of the steak was bursting with the flavour of garlic. Heavenly!

Mummy's whole spring chicken ($17) was HUGE! Haha, it always is i suppose. The skin was nice and crispy (always the best part (: i can never understand why some people don't like chicken skin :P i know it's not healthy but still....!).

Papa's shashlik pork fillet ($22) was the only dish i didn't try. But i thought the way it was served was really interesting! i guess that was the most 'Russian' part of the meal. It came on a trolley on a skewer, and the waitress served it onto the plate from there. I guess it doesn't sound that spectacular, but i thought it was a pretty unique way of serving!

The good news is that after awhile, when they started serving the food, the sizzling smell of the shashlik covered the awful smell which attacked us when we entered. (:

Shashlik Restaurant
Far East Shopping Centre #06-19
Tel.: +65 6732 6401
Daily 12pm-3pm, 6.30pm-10.30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment