Wednesday 6 October 2010

Red Star

Dim sum breakfast at Red Star on Sunday morning! (: Actually we wanted to go to Prive!!! But it seems like we have no fate with that place :/ Papa tried calling them a million times last week to make reservations for mummy's birthday, but they never once answered the phone. isn't that terrible? I wonder what went wrong. Today, we decided to just GO there, and we called them up again on the way. Turned out that they're fully booked -.- Gosh. Tell me, is it THAT good? I really want to check out the place, but it's starting to annoy me! :/ Please comment and tell me if you've been there! (:
  1. So anyways, Red Star is my absolutely favourite place for dim sum. It's really popular as evidenced by the ridiculously long queues on sunday. The breakfast-brunch-lunch crowd just merges seamlessly into one such that there is an ever-present queue. But i think it's worth it xD

oh jeez, the picture is so blur >.<
But i just had to put the char siew sou right on top because it's my favourite! :D I'm a HUGE fan of char siew sou xD It is a necessity at the dim sum table, and once it comes out of the kitchen (the food is snapped up really fast at Red Star, so fresh food comes out of the kitchen at rather frequent intervals), i'm the first one to sprint to the trolley to get my share of it :P Haha i sound like some kiasu auntie :P I just can't reign in my love of this pastry (: The crust of the char siew sou is just as important as its contents. Crispy and tasty, with a generous amount of char siew inside. This pastry is just heavenly.



Egg tarts are on the same trolley as my char siew sou, so i'll always grab them along the way as well. Since i'm the char siew sou fan in my family, i always get to eat TWO of it (: so i'll alternate the two with an egg tart in between. Once again, the crust is very important to me. Nicely flaky but not overly so, with a firm eggy centre. Sooo nice.

I used to love century egg porridge, but now since i've got my new love, i no longer like century egg porridge that much anymore :P The yam cake was quite nice, with chunks of yam inside. And i liked how it went nicely with the sauce. however, if i were to be craving yam cake, there is a coffee shop in sin ming with SUPERB yam cake (the entire thing is made of yam, not merely little chunks), so having eaten that, i have yet to be impressed with the yam cake anywhere else. Siew mai and har gow were both decent - all must-haves when my family eats dim sum. I like anything with char siew!!! So naturally i liked the char siew bao. The bun was soft and fluffy with tasty char siew inside. One little gripe i might have if i were picky would be that the filling was slightly little. But then again, i loved the fluffiness of the bun, so i didn't mind that it compromised on the amount of filling. I only like chee cheong fun served in dim sum. Because i don't like the sweet red sauce which they typically put on dim sum in other places. i wonder why there is such a discrepancy? I prefer this soy sauce version much much more (: But there wasn't enough sauce this time. Boo.

Finally, the king of all dishes - the DA BAO. This is seriously one BIG da bao. I could never finish one of these on my own. It is awesome. I haven't found a bao like this anywhere else - it's unique! (: Nice fluffy bun again, just like the char siew bao, and inside is full of a variety of ingredients - meat, chinese sausage, water chestnut (i think? it's something crunchy!), mushrooms...oh no i can't remember! :( but anyway, it really packs a punch with all the ingredients (:

Red Star Restaurant
Blk 54 Chin Swee Road #07-23
Tel.: +65 6532 5266
Daily 7am-3pm, 6pm-11pm

No comments:

Post a Comment